JASON Interview!!!

by Profit |


You may be wondering why JASON is all typed out in caps. It's not a typo!

JASON hails from Richmond, Va., A.K.A. CapCity and he is one of Virginia's up and coming music phenomenon.

JASON is a versatile emcee that has music for everyone from the hustler, to the office exec.

His latest album, Born To Motivate...Raised To Succeed, has been mentioned in the German magazine, NYTD Zone, where it is #3 of the Top 10 albums. And, his single Drop That is #4 out of the Top 20 singles in NYTD Zone, falling behind Jay-Z and The Dream.

JASON is on the move. Don't sleep on him!

Profit: How long you been rappin?

JASON: About 10 years

What motivated you to get started?

Where it started was, me and my partners were in a group. One of my boys came to me and said “We ‘bout to start this rap thing”. I was like whatever. We just started doin it.

Do you do anything now with the group or are you just solo?

It’s things that happened but we’re still family. We all grew up together. One of the group members is still a producer for an independent label. It just wasn’t a creative thing anymore.

That’s understandable because everyone has their creative differences. So what projects are you currently working on?

My record just came out “Born to Motivate…Raised to Succeed”. We also got a ConFlict album coming out in this year (Roundtable Entertainment artist).

You got any mixtapes coming soon?

I got an underground mixtape out of Atlanta that will soon be dropping. Another one out of Virginia, both JASON mixtapes.

The one out of Atlanta, is that hosted by any particular DJ?

That’s through an independent entertainment group. They put out mixtapes for underground independent artists every now and then throughout the year.

What artists would you like to collab up with?

Nelly, Small World from DTP, Luda, I would really like to do a joint with A Tribe Called Quest. Chris Brown, Trey Songz are a few others, especially with them being from Virginia, I’d like to keep the Virginia thing going. It’s strength in numbers. People try to stay separate from each other. Look at Atlanta, all them dudes from different neighborhoods and different cliques. But, you will catch them all on a song together and they be out together throughout Atlanta. I think that strengthens their movement.

Your CD, “Born To Motivate…Raised To Succeed, it’s out on iTunes now. What has the response to that been like?

The response has been really good. We recently got an appearance in the German Magazine, NYTD Zone for the album. We have one of the top singles, Drop That they play in the club. We have the #3 album out of the magazine’s Top 10. It landed the #4 slot out of 20 tracks. There is also a video out right now for “Earl’s Gone Fishin’”.

Speaking of “Earl’s Gone Fishing”, after listening to it, there is a deeper meaning to what the title may lead people to believe. What was the motivation behind that?

My boy Earl “Tre” Dantzler passed away when he was 19 back in 2001 from Lukemia. I seen this dude battle it back and forth. It came back 3 times. He was just a soldier. One of the things he liked to do was go fishing. When we would be in the studio, or in the streets balling and he wasn’t there cause he was gone fishing. It’s easier to cope with when you find a way to deal with the losses in your life. I’ve dealt with a lot losses all my life. When I was five, I loss my mom. Rather to say he’s dead and buried, it’s easier to say “he’s not here because he’s gone fishing”. That’s what that song is about. The video kind of brings it to life even more, but there’s more visuals in the song.

I like that whole concept cause it’s different. So, what’s up next for JASON and Roundtable Entertainment in 2008?

Outside of the music, I am doing some acting. That’s not even on a hip-hop fad. I have been doing the acting thing for a minute now. I got some things I am working on. Hopefully a couple movie roles will come up for me this year. I really want to do some more shows. I really want to go on tour and get another album out by the end of this summer. We got ConFlict’s album coming out. We already have AynJul’s album out, that is on iTunes also. You can get all this information by going to my website, http://www.JASON804.com. 2008, we just trying to hit them hard, we are trying to grind hard and stay on the grind. We are not a big company but we have been able to do some pretty big things. We have gotten over 2 million plays on Myspace which is major of for an independent label to have.

What’s the Myspace page for people to go to?

Http://www.myspace.com/jason804. If people want to catch up with some of the things we did, like Floetry remixes, some articles, the MTV My Sweet 16 with DJ Whoo Kid and Lloyd Banks, you can catch that at http://www.myspace.com/rtemusic.

Any last words for the readers?

Be on the lookout, all the artists stay on the grind. I got respect for all the artists all the producers, magazines and websites, I got love for all of them. I’m trying to collab up and do some shows. We gotta be able to support our genre. A lot of people want to talk down on the craft but they haven’t bought a record in forever. Support our own genre and keep it [hip-hop] goin!
|
2 Response to 'JASON Interview!!!'
  1. Anonymous
    http://livehip-hop.blogspot.com/2008/01/jason-interview.html?showComment=1226969640000#c3086367159901498591'> November 17, 2008 at 7:54 PM

    I have had the opportunity to experience JASON and his music, let me just say JASON is a phenomenal artist but most importantly he is a phenomenal person. Check him out, go get the album, it’s definitely worth it!

     

  2. Anonymous
    http://livehip-hop.blogspot.com/2008/01/jason-interview.html?showComment=1227016860000#c7144157195764795094'> November 18, 2008 at 9:01 AM

    Got the album and I love it. Great buy, go cop it!